A hardwood floor is classy, warm and renewable. Reputed suppliers offer hardwood sourced from commercial wood farms or from sustainably managed forests. Such hardwood floors are eco-friendly too. Keeping a hardwood floor safe from moisture is the biggest challenge facing a hardwood floor lover. Engineered wood floors offer the look and feel of an authentic wood floor and convenience in a single package.
Advantages of an Engineered Wood Floor
- Quick, Easy and Cheap installation – a click and lock system, possibility of floating installation over a vapor barrier and prefinished flooring options make it the easiest hardwood floor to install.
- Low Material Cost – when you buy an engineered floor with an expensive top the cost difference with a solid wood floor will be significant.
- Durability – Good engineered floors are made under controlled conditions of heat and high pressure to bond layers of real wood together. Sandwich construction, industrial strength glues, base and core of strong and resilient woods ensure that good engineered floors turns out to be as durable as a solid hardwood floor.
- Resilience – to infloor radiant heat and exposure to moisture. Engineered floors resist moisture well. Even if completely submerged in water an engineered wood floor more often than not returns back to its original state. The grain of each layer in the engineered the floor is oriented in a different direction. They expand in different directions, thereby ensuring that the floor does not warp, bend or crack. Similarly if you are planning to install infloor radiant heating an engineered wood floor could be your best bet.
- Possibility of refinishing – Unlike laminate and vinyl floors that can be made to look like wood an engineered wood floor can be re-sanded and refinished like a solid hardwood floor. Laminate and vinyl floors have only an image of wood on top. An engineered wood floor on the other hand is made of real wood. The number of times it can be refinished depends on the thickness of the wear layer on top. The thicker the wear layer, more is the cost. But an engineered floor with a thick wear layer can be refinished more number of times and has a longer life – at times close to half a century.
- Greener than any other hardwood floor – The base and the core of an engineered wood floor are made of rapidly renewed wood or of small pieces of wood left over from the sawing process. The top is prepared by slicing and not by sawing – thus not even sawdust is wasted.
Precautions While Buying an Engineered Wood Floor
Source your wood from reputable manufacturers. Do NOT go for price alone. Cheap engineered wood floors are assembled with poor quality glues and can come apart layer by layer. Most sob stories of engineered wood floor failure are due to sub-par sellers passing off seconds as prime quality engineered wood. Fly by night operators out to make a quick buck have given a bad name to engineered wood floors. Contempo Floor Coverings has a history of trust and customer satisfaction. With 3 decades of unblemished customer service record behind us, you can rest assured that sourcing the best engineered wood floor from us or trusting your precious engineered floor in the hands of our professional installation services is a sound idea. Besides engineered and solid hardwood we also have a rich collection of carpets, tiles, vinyl and rubber for both home and commercial uses.