Installing Berber Carpet on Stairs
Are you wondering if Berber carpet can be installed on stairs? You are not the only person facing this dilemma. Durable and sophisticated, Berber carpets are the most popular and desired carpet styles on the market today.
The problem with installing Berber carpet on stairs is that it is difficult to cut the carpet without fraying the edges of the fiber. But with a little care and professional help it is definitely possible to install any carpet. including Berber, on your stairs.
Advantages of carpet on stairs
- Carpeted stairs reduce the risk of accidental injury. In a house, especially one with children, carpets cover sharp edges and reduce the chances of serious injury. Carpets also provide greater friction and grip and minimize the chances of slipping on the stairs.
- Stairs generally see more traffic than other areas of the floor. If you have a wooden stairway it is likely to be damaged by the traffic. Installing a carpet on the stairs will reduce the damage to the stairs and you will save on the costs of repairing and replacing damaged stairs.
- Carpets absorb noise. Installed on stairs, carpet can reduce the noise caused by people stomping up and down the stairs.
- Carpets can add a dash of life and color to a stark staircase and make it a work of art.
Installing Berber Carpet on stairs – Some Common Questions
- Can Berber be installed on stairs? – Yes. Berber may be more difficult to install than low cut pile carpets, but is definitely possible to install on stairs successfully.
- What kind of Berber is ideal for installing on stairs? – A Berber carpet with a dense low pile is ideal for installing on stairs. While a cut pile carpet is easy to install, a loop pile carpet wears better than a cut pile carpet. Good carpet padding cushions footsteps, medium colored Berber carpet retains its looks longer and dense loops in a carpet ensure that it lasts longer.
- What are the different methods of installing carpet on stairs? The waterfall method and the cap and bond method are the two methods for installing carpet on stairs. The cap and bond method gives a separate piece of carpet to each stair and provides a more durable and safer stair covering.
- How can I obtain smooth edges when I cut the Berber carpet? – To get smooth edges it is important to cut in a straight row and the frayed edges can then be clipped with shears. The right tools are important for proper installation. A row cutter is better for cutting a Berber carpet instead of a multipurpose knife.
- Can I install the carpet on the stairs myself? – Installing a carpet is not easy and installing a Berber carpet on stairs is even more difficult. Do not try to install Berber carpet on stairs unless you are very good with your hands, have the right tools and access to professional advice about the right way to install a Berber carpet on stairs. A poorly installed Berber carpet will unravel quickly and might even be a safety hazard.
- What other things must I take care of? – Good padding is vital for proper installation of Berber carpet on the stairs. It is best to ensure that the padding complies with the manufacturer’s instructions or you might run the risk of voiding the warranty.
Berber carpets are a favored choice by homeowners. They can also be installed successfully on stairs. When it comes to installing Berber carpet on stairs, the right tools and technique are vital to a successful installation. The proper care and cleaning of Berber carpet installed on stairs is important to ensure that it continues to provide excellent service for decades. You can rely on the professional carpet installation and care services provided by Contempo Floor Coverings if you face any challenges or have doubts about the proper installation and care of Berber carpets.