Natural Fiber Rugs
Growing environment consciousness has seen natural flooring materials like hardwood flooring return to favor. Jute, coir, sisal, sea grass and wool are some of the natural fibers used in flooring products. Natural fibers can be used as complete flooring product or may be used in the form of rugs.
An advantage of rugs is that they can be easily paired with existing flooring. If you want to avoid animal based products, you may choose a natural fiber like sisal and seagrass. Alternately you may consider using rugs made from non violent silk – a type of silk made from cocoons after the silkworms have escaped.
Advantages of Natural Fibers
- Natural fiber rugs, reduce exposure to allergens and are generally devoid of chemical dyes that may be carcinogenic.
- Natural fibers are completely renewable. For materials like Coir, an added advantage is that a single plant continues to produce fibers year after year. Other materials like seagrass and sisal also have a minimal ecological impact.
- Natural fibers are non toxic and hypoallergenic.
- Natural fibers have a rustic charm that can help set your home apart.
- Natural fiber rugs merge well with any design scheme or color palette.
Disadvantages of Natural Fibers
- Natural fibers can be costly.
- Natural fibers may not last as long as some other materials like hardwood flooring do.
- Some natural fibers like wool may require special care and maintenance.
- Plant based natural fibers are difficult to color. If you are looking for a colored plant fiber rug, you may find your choice limited.
- Some natural fibers like coir are rough and are difficult to walk on barefoot.
Synthetic fibers use non renewable and irreplaceable resources, and may release toxins like volatile organic compounds that poison the air inside your house. The synthetic glues used in installing these synthetic products are an added nuisance. Indoor pollution levels in houses built with cheap, poor quality flooring material is up to 5 times higher than outdoor pollution!
Using Natural Fiber Rugs
Natural fiber rugs can be used to add a touch of rustic charm to any setting. They go well with bamboo and hardwood flooring. You can place them under working tables and chairs, under center tables or use them at entry points to arrest dirt and dust before it enters the house. You could also create a custom room designed solely with eco-friendly materials and decorated with natural rugs, pottery and candles as the centerpiece of attraction of your home.
Chic and stylish, restrained yet speaking volumes about your environmental credentials, natural fiber rugs are ideally suited to modern sensibilities. With increasing awareness about environmental issues, they are the flooring choice of the future. The signature style of a natural fiber rug can add a lot of value to your property. At Contempo Floor Coverings you can select from a wide range of natural fiber rugs to suit your budget and aesthetic requirements.